So yesterday I talked a little about the convention in general. Today I’m going to get into the good stuff. The things I came for. Signatures and other stuff that required money to be exchanged.
So I was hoping to get a bunch of signatures the first day, then use the second to try and get who I missed as well as get to see everything else. However, I was amazed that in the first day alone, I was able to get almost every signature that I wanted to. Young and Garney had canceled, so I didn’t get those. I also did not get Capullo to sign anything, as he was seated with Scott Snyder and had lines that went on for hours and hours. Neal Adams didn’t have a huge line at his huge area, but was charging $20 for a signature, so I didn’t get him to sign anything either. Call me cheap but I’m not about to spend $20 for a name to be written. Here’s a picture that showcases about half of what I got signed.
I also got a lot of artwork, some of which was for my wife and daughter. Here’s a general look at the stuff we got that will soon be hanging on our walls.
Here is a complete rundown of what I got signed, and by who.
- Sergio Aragones: Funnies #1 and Groo #50
- Simon Bisley: What If? #78. I got to watch him do some awesome commissions.
- Nick Bradshaw: Deadpool #46 and 47
- Mark Brooks: Fantastic Four #588 and Young Avengers: Dark Reign #1
- Jim Calafiore: Exiles #75 and 76
- Amanda Conner: Cable and Deadpool #32
- Geof Isherwood: Dr. Strange #37, 50, 53
- Adam Kubert: Spider-Man: Dark Reign The List, X-men 2099 #1
- Norman Lee: What If? AvX #1
- Mike McKone: Fantastic Four #541 and New Avengers #64. He would only sign if I bought some stuff, which I was happy to do.
- Pop Mahn: Thunderbolts #136
- Jorge Molina: What If? AvX #1 and Avengers: The Initiative #35
- Carlos Pacheco: Avengers Forever #1 (my favorite!) and Avengers Annual ’98
- Jimmy Palmiotti: What If? AvX #1 and Punisher 2099 #1
- Ramon Perez: Deadpool Team-Up 883
- Khoi Pham: Might Avengers #36 and Age of X Universe #1
- Khary Randolph: Mutant 2099
- Tom Raney: Warlock Chronicles #1 and Sentry: Fallen Sun
- Esad Ribic: Wolverine: Dark Reign The List and House of M #8. He was doing some painting when I was near and it was entrancing to watch him work.
- Paul Ryan: Fantastic Four #374 and Ravage 2099 #1
- Alex Saviuk: Web of Spider-Man #100 and 103
- Gail Simone: Simpsons’ Tree House of Horror
- Arthur Suydam: Deadpool Merc with a Mouth #1 and 13
- Mark Texeira: Ghost Rider #15 and 17. He made fun of Neal Adams charging so much money for a signature and of the new Ghost Rider. Great stuff.
- Frank Tieri: Lethal Legion #1 and Civil War: War Crime
- Mark Waid: Captain America #1 and Spider-Man House of M #1
Here are the sketches that I had Isherwood do for me. I loved the Dr. Strange one so much that I had him do another.
I got these two from McKone, and both were signed, one for my wife and one for my daughter.
The guy who does the Superhero Squad also did a free drawing for any kid, so my daughter got a Rogue portrait.
My wife got me a Yoda from some one while I was getting autographs.
And I got her a Darrell from Suydam, who told us that Norman actually has the original one at his house.
And there were a few others that you may have seen in the group shot including some movie posters and little prints.
And my daughter got herself a few toys. Her favorite X-Men and her favorite character from Star Wars.
Getting those allowed me a lot of time to watch artists create their works and walk around to see everyone. I pawed through dollar comic long boxes for a while and was able to walk away with about 35 comics, some of which were 4 for a dollar. I will put up a quick review of each one maybe next week. Not a full article, but a couple sentences or so.
When we were leaving late in the day on Sunday, I had to walk away from several booths who were having last minute sales including buy 2, get 5 for free. I didn’t have room for it, and I had spent more than enough money already.
There was tons of other stuff that I wanted to buy, and I could have spent thousands of dollars easily. But I’m happy with what I bought and feel good with what I paid.
Come back tomorrow for the cosplayers!