An optimistic look at the trailer.
Look. I get it. It’s easy to hate on remakes. It’s easy to hate one Michael Bay. It’s easy to hate on movie adaptations of things that were sacred to us as children. But let’s try to at least find something positive in this trailer.
I’m sure you’ve already seen it, but just in case, (and no I don’t mean the Carmen Sandiego villain) watch it again. Don’t try to find the flaws. Look at it as a newcomer to TMNT. I tried, and here’s my top 5 reasons why this might not suck.
1. It looks a bit dark. If we go back to the original comics, TMNT were meant to be gritty. Now, this trailer doesn’t look especially noir, but it looks darker than any other film/tv version I’ve come across. This shows they aren’t just trying to appeal to the younger audience, but also us older folks who have grown up a little since seeing it in the 90s. Maybe we will even see Leonardo cut into someone with his swords. Wouldn’t that be crazy?
2. The turtles look a bit more realistic than I’ve seen before. It actually looks like their head could almost fit inside their shell, although their arms and legs probably couldn’t. Granted, their faces look a bit deformed, but it’s a change that I don’t feel is going to ruin the movie.
3. Mikey still has some humor. I’m hoping that the “It’s just a mask,” is not the only joke in the movie, and that while it is darker, we will still see some of the trademark goofiness that we loved as kids.
4. There is a scene on a snowy mountain. (Ok, I know I’m reaching a bit now) A cold-blooded animal on the snow? That could set up potential disasters that were never (to my knowledge) explored in the television show. Will they slow down? Go into hibernation? Surely it can’t be all sliding and crashing into military trucks.
5. Okay, I’m really stumped now. I’ve watched it through a few times, trying to find something. Shredder… is not even Asian. Ummmm, didn’t see Splinter at all. Uh, there is… I don’t know. Look, at least I tried, okay? No one else was being that positive. Four out of five isn’t too bad.
So, will I watch this movie? Of course. And so will every other complaining fan out there, if for no other reason than to be smug about the fact that they were right that it would suck. And maybe it will suck. But come on, we got to at least give it a shot. One trailer does not a movie make.
I know something that would make it great! If movie theaters offered pizza while you were watching it. I mean, there has got to be a mention of pizza, amiright? So go on, bash me for looking at it optimistically. I had to try.