So today is Pi Day, being 3/14, the day to celebrate the ratio of a circle’s circumference to it’s radius (or somesuch), and was also the cause for celebration at Casablanca Comics in Portland, ME. That, along 3/14 marking their 27th (!) anniversary led to a perfect storm of awesomeness: free pie and 27% off back issues. Comics, baked goods, and savings? Three of my favorite things. So after venturing into the city, I got a slice of apple and a copy of Man-Thing #5. Despite being a dispenser of the hateorade for Man-Thing at various points, I was drawn to this issue in particular because recently I discovered a YouTube video of an audio record for the same story, and found the story intriguing, with a pure pulp horror novel appeal that’s probably what earned Man-Thing any “cult” following he might have (and also underscore why he probably couldn’t carry a monthly book for any long period of time). So, let’s hear it for Pi Day, as another excuse to read comics!
-PS, let’s run through all the “days” of March:
- 3/11 day, for all you people who want to party like it’s 2000
- 3/14, Pi day, a day for geometry, baking, and comic books (apparently)
- 3/15, the Ides of March. Et tu, Man-Thing?
- 3/16, national Stone Cold Steve Austin Day (Austin March 16th says I just whooped yer ass)
- 3/17, St. Patrick’s Day. They should’ve never cancelled The Black Donellys. Nevah!